27 Wrz Restoring the Past in Radonie
Warsaw: In July the Quest was on location for a few days in the library and grounds of a fine country house in Radonie, 20 kilometers southwest of Warsaw. The house, which has been carefully restored, is an excellent example of the classic Polish manor or dwor.
The architectural form of the dwór came into vogue in the late Polish Renaissance period and continued until the Second World War. And following that the communist take over of Poland meant the end of the nobility. A 1944 German decree nationalized most mansions. A few were later adapted to other purposes. Many fell slowly into ruin along with grander palaces and ancient castles.
Chopin’s birthplace in Żelazowa Wola: a classic example.
The earliest mention of the Manor House in Radonie dates back to the end of the 18th century. In the mid-19th century, Piotr Folkierski of the House of Radwan constructed a Classical brick manor house based on a traditional rectangular shape. In the same period, a naturalistic park was created on the grounds surrounding the manor house.
After World War II, Radonie Manor shared the fate of many Polish manor houses. It was taken over by the State and fell into disrepair and ruin. In 2010, after nine years of painstaking restoration, the Manor was returned to its former glory. The current owners have tried not only to recreate the substance of the building, but also the atmosphere of a by-gone manor house.
Today the Manor is chiefly a family home, but its new owners enjoy sharing its beauty with others and make it available for exceptional events.